Hotel Derby Eiffel Invalides close
Hotel Derby Eiffel is located near the majestic Hôtel National des Invalides.
Built during the reign of Louis XIV by the architect Liberal Bruant, to provide older soldiers, injured or disabled from his army support and assistance, the Hotel des Invalides initially handled both the function of the convent, barracks, hospital and hospice.
Mecca of the military history of France, and place of memory, the Hotel des Invalides houses today:
- The National Institution des Invalides hospital continues to welcome veterans and soldiers sick or injured
- The Museum of the Army, considered one of the finest military museums in the world
- Museum Plans-reliefs shows astounding collection of model military strongholds in three dimensions
- The Museum of the Order of the Liberation
- The Church of the Dome, including housing the tomb of Napoleon 1st
The National Institution des Invalides includes a Centre Residents, welcoming War invalids (the center currently has 91 rooms distributed on each side of the Dome des Invalides), a medical and surgical center providing care on Casualty (veterans, wounded soldiers and civilians suffering primarily from spinal cord injury, amputation or cérébrolésions) and a Center for Education and Research on the equipment for the disabled.
The Army Museum is organized in three sections, the first is devoted to weapons and ancient armor, the second is devoted to the War of 1870 and the two World Wars, the third is the historial Charles de Gaulle, who traces the life and actions of General de Gaulle.
Museum Plans-reliefs, created in 1943, brings together an impressive collection of three-dimensional models of fortresses and strongholds started in 1668, during the reign of Louis XIV and completed in 1870, when France abandoned building fortification bastion.
The collection, historical monument in 1927, now includes hundreds of relief maps, fifteen of which were held in trust at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lille.
Often carried out by military engineers, these models now offer an invaluable account of the evolution of defense or war techniques as well as the urbanization of some cities.
The Museum of the Order of the Liberation, established in 1967 by General de Gaulle perpetuates the memory of the Companions of the Liberation.
It includes an important collection of more than 4,000 personal items entrusted by the companions or family.
The Dome Church, architectural masterpiece became a military pantheon contains the tombs of many personalities. These famous characters, the Vicomte de Turenne, Napoleon 1st, or the Marshal Foch. The building also houses the heart of Vauban.